Educational Opportunities

A record 565,039 international students attended U.S. colleges and universities during the 2004-2005 academic year, according to Open Doors 2005, the  Institute  of International Education’s annual report on international education exchange.

The US Embassy has an Education Advisor to assist students with Higher Education enquiries. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss education opportunities in the US, please contact the education advisor at 692-247-4011 Ext. 228, email:

Internet Resources – Following are some useful online search guides on U.S Universities and colleges:

College/University Search

Search a variety of online databases to find colleges and universities that match your interests. Visit their home pages to get more detailed information.

Please note that not all colleges and universities found in online databases are accredited by one of the regional or national accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To verify if a school is accredited by a recognized accrediting body, go to the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) databases listed above under ACCREDITATION.

Standardized Testing Websites

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Registration Bulletin

SAT Reasoning and Subject Tests (SAT)
Online Registration

Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
Registration Bulletin

General Management Admission Council (GMAT)
Registration Bulletin

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Registration Bulletin

Dental Admission Testing Program (DAT)
Application and Preparation Materials

Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
Registration Bulletin

United States Licensure for International Dentists
Information Bulletin

Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
Registration Bulletin

Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
Registration Bulletin


Explanation of Accreditation in the USA

US Department of Education Accredited Colleges/Universities/Career/Trade Schools Database

Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)Database
Institutions & Programs Accredited by Recognized US Accrediting Organizations

Frequently Asked Questions

Information about study in the U.S. can also be found on the State Department’s Education USA web site.

Private Colleges are funded by a combination of endowments, tuition fees, research grants, etc. Tuition fees tend to be high, and generally these institutions are smaller in terms of student population.  Private colleges generally focus on Undergraduate education and often have generous financial assistance available for students.

State Universities tend to be very large with enrollments of 10,000 or more, founded and subsidized by U.S. state governments and taxes (e.g. California State University). They are also called public universities to distinguish them from private institutions. Tuition costs are generally lower than at private ones.

Community Colleges are a less expensive higher education alternative. They are community-based institutions, providing two-year associate degree programs, called Associate of Arts (A.A) or Associate of Science (A.S) degrees, as well as excellent technical and vocational programs. Work completed at community colleges is often transferable to 4-year institutions to count as the first 2 years of a 4 year degree.

Entry requirements can vary tremendously. Most students can enter a U.S. institution by having graduated from their high school and most will require students to have A levels or 12 years of education prior applying. One or more standardized admissions test is usually required.

There are 3 primary Undergraduate Admissions tests: SAT1, SAT Subject Test, and the ACT-American College Testing Assessment.

Read the article on admission deadlines for 2010 by USNEWS “Getting a Late Start? All is not lost”.

A good website for searching scholarships in terms of country of origin, field of study or, program name is

Grade Point Average is a number quantity (U.S school scoring system) representing a student’s academic performance of a semester, trimester, or school year. An A is 4.0 point, B=3, C=2, D=1 and F=0. To calculate GPA, divide the total credit points received for one semester by the number of credits taken that semester. Example: you enrolled for 16 credits in 1 semester and you receive 4 credits of A, 4 credits of B, 4 credits of C and 4 credits of D. Your grade points are (4×4) + (4×3) + (4×2) + (4×1) = 40 total grade points. Your GPA for the semester is 40 divided by 16 = 2.50. To calculate cumulative GPA, divide total grade points received by total number of credits earned.

Schools have differing criteria for admission. In general, the following are required:

  • Application Form – basic personal information.  Allow plenty of time to complete them.  There is no centralized application system in the U.S. You will usually need to complete a different application for each institution that you apply to.
  • Application Fees – A non-refundable one-time payment for the school to process your application.
  • Transcripts – your academic records or credentials from at least your last 4-5 years of studies.
  • Financial Documents – proof that you can support yourself while overseas.
  • Standardized Test Scores – Find out from each institution’s website which standardized tests are required. You will need to arrange for the testing organizations to send your scores to each institution that you are applying to. Institutions will not accept scores sent by the applicant.
  • Application Essays – Some colleges may require you to submit an essay along with the application form. Common topics include; your goals, why you want to study in the USA, personal abilities, etc.
  • Letter of Recommendation – Also known as References, these need to be written about you by previous teachers or professors. In the case of Graduate students these can also be from past employers.
  • Other Materials – The University may ask you to submit supporting materials such as pieces of work if you were an art student, evidence of past work experience, etc.

International student visas allow undergraduate students to work on campus during the academic year. Check each school for specific hours allowed per week during semesters as well as breaks. Upon graduation, students may apply to work for one year in American companies in order to gain work experience.

Yes. In fact 70% of students earning MBAs received their bachelor’s degree in fields other than business. Usually, there is a prerequisite for at least 1-2 years work experience.