Date: August 10, 2022
Majuro – The United States Government, via the Department of the Interior (DOI)’s Office of Insular Affairs, has announced approximately $1.5 million in its 2022 fiscal year for grants earmarked for the Republic of the Marshall Islands. These grants aim to support grant management capacity, improve the quality of life in the outer atolls, and support the local Red Cross. The funding falls under the Technical Assistance Program (TAP) and Maintenance Assistance Program (MAP), which are part of DOI’s Office of Insular Affairs.
The Technical Assistance Program grants totaling $750,000 for the fiscal year 2022 will provide as follows:
• $239,500 – Wotje Atoll Local Government to acquire solar water desalination systems for the drought-prone atoll with no natural freshwater sources beyond the rain.
• $200,500 – Maloelap Atoll Local Government to acquire prefabricated sanitary toilets for 137 households and provide access to safe and improved sanitation for the atoll community.
• $200,000 – Department of Finance to train government and non-government officials in grant writing and management training for all federal government and other funding sources.
• $110,000 – Waan Aelon in Majel (Canoes of the Marshall Islands) is a non-profit organization that promotes canoe building and sailing, promoting traditional skills retention and cultural practices among Marshallese youth.
The Maintenance Assistance Program grants totaling $748,866 for the fiscal year 2022 will provide as follows:
• $390,122 – Marshall Islands Red Cross Society to remodel the existing Red Cross building and provide space for emergency training. The refurbished building will continue to serve as an evacuation center in emergencies or King Tides.
• $358,744 – Majuro Atoll Waste Company for the acquisition of a garbage truck.
For more information about the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Office of Insular Affairs can be found at www.doi.gov/oia. For specific details on grants provided through the Office of Insular Affairs, visit www.grants.gov and search Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) #15.875