Passport Services

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy Majuro accepts passport applications, amends passports in the event of a name change, adds additional passport pages, and issues emergency passports to U.S. citizens. In order to assist you in your passport application process, click here.  This link will help you determine what type of passport you need to apply for, the forms you will need to fill out, and the other administrative procedures that you will have to complete in order for us to approve and process your passport application.

CA Press Release

  • The U.S. Department of State will no longer add visa pages into U.S. passports beginning January 1, 2016.
  • The Final Rule to this effect was published in the Federal Register on November 20, 2015.  This Final Rule was published after a 60 day comment period.
  • Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance passport security and is consistent with international passport standards.
  • Requests for additional 24-page visa inserts will only be accepted until December 31, 2015.  This is effective worldwide.  Beginning January 1, 2016, applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport.

Q: Why does adding additional pages to a passport make it less secure?

  • The visa page inserts used to add additional pages are more easily removable than the original sewn-in visa pages.  By removing an insert, a passport holder can hide his/her travel history or use the removed insert to create a counterfeit passport for identification purposes.   

Q: Are visas in an expired passport still valid?

The validity of a visa in an expired U.S. passport is dependent upon the host country that issued the visa. Some countries allow travel with two passports (one valid and one expired with valid visas) and some require new visas.

To add visa pages to previously issued, currently valid U.S. passports, please follow the instructions below:

Step 1:

Fill out and print the DS-4085 Application for Additional Visa Pages form.

Please follow the instructions on the form carefully. Complete, sign, and date the application.

Step 2:

Click here to schedule an appointment.  Use a valid email address and print your confirmation.

If you are not in Majuro and would like to mail your application to the Embassy, mail all documents and fees to the embassy at the following mailing address:

(For DHL or FedEx)

U.S. Embassy Majuro
Consular Section
Mejen Weto, Long Island

Majuro, MH 96960
Republic of the Marshall Islands

(For Regular Mail)

U.S. Embassy Majuro
Consular Section
P.O. Box 1379
Majuro, MH 96960
Republic of the Marshall Islands

Step 3:

Please bring the following documents with you to your appointment. If you are mailing your application, please ensure that all the following documents and fees are included:

  • Completed and signed DS-4085 application form
  • A printout of the email notification sent to you by the Embassy
  • Your most recent passport
  • $82 in cash (USD only) if coming in person to the Embassy. If mailing the application, please include a valid Cashier’s Check from a U.S. bank in the amount of $82 payable to “U.S. Embassy, Majuro.” Personal checks and credit cards are NOT accepted. The U.S. Embassy does not recommend sending cash by mail.

Step 4:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, the passport will be processed and delivered within 1-2 days.

If your passport is lost or stolen, report the loss/theft to the local police in the area in which it occurred within 24 hours. In order to replace the passport, it will be necessary for you to appear personally at the Embassy. You should submit your application for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.

In addition to the normal requirements for a passport, you will need to bring Passport form DS-64 (Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport) and your police report to the Embassy. You should bring as many documents as you have proving your citizenship and/or identity as possible (for example, a copy of your lost passport or other documents).

Emergency Passports

If you have an emergency reason for travel in 2-3 weeks, please first check to see if we have an online appointment before your travel date.  To check for an appointment, please click here. If you need to travel prior to our earliest appointment, you may call the Embassy to schedule an emergency appointment. Before calling, please read all the instructions on this page.

Emergencies are generally considered to be:

  • a lost or stolen passport with an urgent need for travel within the next 2-3 weeks.
  • a medical emergency in the United States
  • an emergency situation that does not meet the above criteria but is severe enough to warrant emergency action

Please be aware that the rules for emergency passport issuance are strict, and a consular officer will determine if your situation meets the standard for an emergency.  If your situation is not considered an emergency, you will need to book an online appointment, and return to the embassy on that day.  Emergency passports have the same fees as regular passports but have very limited validity.  The passport will expire shortly after your travel to the U.S.

If you believe your situation meets the criteria for an emergency, please bring:

  • your valid photo ID and a copy
  • proof of your travel plans (tickets, flight itinerary, confirmation,etc)
  • copy of any police report if your passport was stolen
  • medical records if your emergency is based on a medical emergency
  • a photocopy of your old passport (if available)
  • One passport photograph:  The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements
  • please see additional rules for minors under the age of 16 here.
  • Fees (PDF, 276 KB) – $135 for applicants age 16 and older; $105 for applicants age 15 and below; in cash only (USD)