First-Time Applicants

You may only apply for a U.S. passport if you are already in possession of one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. passport

If you do NOT have one of these documents but believe you have a claim to U.S. Citizenship, please click here.

If you have one of the above documents but have never had a U.S. passport, or your most recent passport was not issued is the last 15 years, or your last passport was issued when you were younger than 16, please follow the instructions below:

Step 1:

Fill out electronically and print the DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport wizard form.  If you experience trouble with this Passport Application Wizard, click here to complete Form DS-11 by hand.

Check that you have read the Privacy and Computer Fraud and Abuse Acts Notices and Disclaims and click submit.

  • Click Apply Online.
  • Print the DS-11 form upon completion.
  • Please note that some instructions and options on the form are only applicable in the United States.

Step 2:

Click here to schedule an appointment.  Use a valid email address and print your confirmation.

Step 3:

Please bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • Passport Application Form DS-11
  • One passport photograph:  The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements
  • $135 (Adults over the age of 16) or $105 (Minors under 16) in cash (USD only)
  • Up to date form of identification along with a photocopy.  This may be in the form of a:
  • Valid passport of any country
  • Valid driver’s license with photograph
  • National ID card with photograph
  • Valid Federal or state government ID
  • Or U.S. military card
  • The original and one copy of your U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship
  • Your social security number
  • Name change documentation: If you have changed your name since your last passport was issued, you will be required to furnish name-change documentation, such as your marriage certificate or other legal document.

Step 4 (If applicant is under the age of 16)

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16.  Please click here for the Two Parent Consent Requirement Issuance to Minors Under Age 16.

Please also bring the original and one copy of proof of parentage (e.g. Birth Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad) that lists the names of the child’s parents.

Step 5:

Once payment has been made and application has been approved, the passport will be processed and delivered within 2-3 weeks. This includes the time it takes for us to transmit your passport application to the U.S., and receive the new passport.