Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy Majuro (February 3, 2018)
Location: Majuro Atoll, Republic of the Marshall Islands
Event: The U.S. National Weather Service in Guam has issued a high surf advisory that major inundation is possible inside the lagoon this evening through Tuesday night.
Surf along north facing shores will rise today and reach hazardous levels of 8 to 10 feet by this evening. Surf is expected to build further to between 10 to 12 feet by Sunday afternoon.
From this evening to Tuesday evening, MAJOR INUNDATION OF ONE TO TWO FEET is possible, especially during high tides inside the lagoon along north facing shores near the airport eastward to west facing shores near the post office. Minor inundation of less than one foot is also possible along north ocean facing shores of Darrit.
The U.S. National Weather Service, the RMI National Disaster Management Office, and the U.S. Embassy in Majuro will continue to monitor the situation and will send updates as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid venturing near reef lines and exposed beaches, especially along north facing shores. Breaking waves can knock you down, causing serious injuries and rip currents will be life threatening.
- Take action to protect crops and properties from salt water throughout the weekend.
- Please be cautious and stay away from flooded roads and shorelines.
- Keep a safe distance and do not touch downed lines or anything touching the line, such as a tree branch or another person. Don’t climb utility poles or trees near power lines. Contact with power lines is a major cause of electricity-related injuries and deaths.
- Do not touch anything electrical while you stand in water or while your hands are wet.
- If high water is approaching your residence, turn off the electricity at the main circuit breaker box. If you don’t know where your main circuit box is, find it now.
- Unplug appliances and, if possible, move them to a safe area. You may be able to raise some appliances, such as washing machines, onto concrete blocks. Move smaller appliances and home entertainment equipment to a higher area.
U.S. Embassy Majuro
+692 455 1624
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Marshall Islands Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook.